Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Q & A Session 1

I thought I would answer your questions that you asked in your letters to me!


Q:  Are we all settled in?
A:  I would say we are about 50% settled in, though we are very comfortable in Fukuoka!  We have an apartment, electricity, water, food, AC, stove, bed, one overhead light, a dresser, a table, 2 chairs, and 16 boxes to unpack.  We do NOT have storage containers or a dresser for Tim so we can't start unpacking yet because this place does not have any built in storage!  I think Tim is going to buy storage containers tomorrow and they will be shipped here soon, hopefully!  I will feel more settled once we have more lighting, storage, and have decorated!  Slow process but at least we have a bed!  That's what make a house a home in my opinion.


Q:  Are my students names hard to pronounce?
A:  Hmmm...yes and no.  Yes, it took me a few days to get the names down.  No, they are not hard to pronounce now.  Also, I was kind of used to having names that were not the easiest to pronounce right away.  Do you think they are hard to pronounce?  Try them out...Aya, Reina, Tomo, Taiki, Daiki, Go, Nile, Ili, Kouhei


Q:  How was the hotel that we stayed in?
A:  We stayed in the Twin Momochi Hotel for 2 weeks while apartment hunting.  The bed was comfortable.  The room was clean.  It was WAY too small!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We feel like we've moved into a mansion now and our apartment is small!


Q:  Have we found a more permanent residence yet?
A:  Yes, we live in a 3 LDK apartment in Momochi.  It's a 3 minute bike ride to school.


Q:  Could you have any more questions?
A:  YES, Stacey!  Ha!  I miss you!  ;-)


Q:  Are there lighthouses in Japan?
A:  Lenora, I don't think there are any in Fukuoka.  Apparently there are some in Japan...good luck with this site!  http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/yama/light.html  That's great that Alex has a new fascination!  I've been taking train and subway pics for him!


Q:  Wasn't it magical to walk up the steps on your last night in Positano and hear that beautiful music?
A:  YES, Mom, that was truly magical!!!!!!!!!!!


Q:  What's it like over here?
A:  It's actually very easy to transition into Fukuoka.  It's a modern city that's dated in a way...does that make any sense?!  There are lots of new buildings but everything looks like it was built in the 70s.  It's VERY clean!!!  Tenjin (a part of town) is like a mini New York City with lots of shopping and nightlife.  The food is fabulous here.  The people are very nice.


Q:  Are there parks and trees and water and such?  Is there some green somewhere?
A:  YES!  LOTS of gorgeous parks, LOTS of trees, LOTS of water!  Guess there is lots of such!  Stacy, you are too funny!  There is green lot of places outside of the city.


Q:  What season is it (or do they change like they do in America)?  Do they have Fall there in the real Japan (from Lenora referring to the picture of a Japanese garden in the Fall)?
A:  It was summer when we arrived and it is about to become fall/autumn.  We saw trees changing colors this weekend.  So, yes, there are 4 seasons here.  The climate is like that of Myrtle Beach, SC.  We know that they have HOT and HUMID summers, cools down in the fall.  The leaves change colors.  We've heard that winter is very dreary with little to no snow.  If it ever snows, it doesn't stick.  The cherry blossoms are the talk of the town in spring.  Is it summer yet?


Q:  How's it going in "F*&^-you-okay-in-the-morning" (Jamie)?  How goes it (Sara)?
A:  Jamie and Sara, it's great!  Come visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Q:  Have I ever told you how much I admire your courage?
A:  Yes, Jamie!  Thank you!!!


Q:  Have I met any new friends?
A:  Yes!  Lots at school from America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan.  Several from outside of school too!  Having lots of fun with them!!!  Missing my friends in VA, though!!!


Q:  Have we taken any trips?
A:  We have explored Fukuoka some and went to a town about 45 minutes outside of town called Dazaifu.  It was a great day trip!  We have trips planned in the near future to Nagasaki and Okinawa!  We have a LONG list of places in Japan and Asia that we want to visit.


Q:  "Krispy Kreme...Hot-n-Ready!  Wanna go?"
A:  YES, Stacey!!!  Right now!  Can you sent them via internet?


Q:  What kind of yummy dessert do they have in Japan?
A:  Japanese people really are not into really sweet things.  You won't find a huge selection of ice cream, but you can find it.  There is even a Baskin Robins!  They have the most beautiful cakes you have ever seen!!!  They are also delicious and not that sweet so I enjoy them better!  There are bakeries with delicious breads and croissants, etc. to satisfy the sweet tooth.


Q:  Have I found my underwear yet?
A:  YES, Sara!  I found it Day 1, goofball!


Q:  Do Japanese gardens really look like the one at Maymont?
A:  Good question, Lenora!  I know there is a nearby Japanese garden at a park but I haven't been to it.  We went to a town called Dazaifu this weekend and the temple had a lake with a bridge that reminded me a little of Maymont.  I'll let you know when I find out for sure!


More answers soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment