Saturday, January 30, 2010

Geishas in December

One of the men in my school business office generously gave out free tickets (Y7,000...little more than $70) to a performance of Geisha dancing.  Tim didn't want to go so he got H1N1 instead!  :(  Dayle was my date and Etsuko (my aide) and her friend sat close to us.  This was the end of the year dance for the geishas.  They begin their year in January and end in December.  There were four different dances with intermissions in between each one...just my amount of sitting!  The theater was really nice.  The geishas were beautiful.  So glad I had the opportunity to see this as many people in Japan have not experienced this!


The only thing that annoyed me was the NO PHOTOGRAPHY rule, but for those of you who know me, it won't shock you that I snuck in a few photos and a video!


Afterwards, a group of us went to an all tofu restaurant and then shopping.  I was a bit apprehensive as tofu is not one of my favorites but I ending up LOVING every bit of dinner!!!  YUM!




More pictures from our cultural afternoon and evening...

2 comments:

  1. how cool! have you read memoirs of a geisha? that is the extent of my geisha knowledge...

    ReplyDelete
  2. jenna...i haven't read memoirs of a geisha yet...it's sitting on my bookshelf. i want to read it. i am fascinated with them! have fun in the snow!!! take pics of that cute siena!

    ReplyDelete