Sunday, January 10, 2010

Southern Islands of Okinawa...Ishigaki, Iriomote, Taketomi

Hello, there!  Yes, I know it's been a LONG time since I've said Hello!  I guess my New Year's resolution should be to blog more!


We had a break in November and decided to head down to the southern islands of Okinawa (south of mainland Okinawa).  Our friends, Ali, Dayle, and Lori came with us.  Tim and I stayed in Ishigaki for 4 nights and Iriomote for 2 nights.  We stayed right next to the ferry terminal and had easy access to Iriomote and Taketomi.


It was rainy season in Okinawa and boy, did it rain!  I will admit that I was bummed because of the rain because I wanted to lay out on the beach a lot more than I was able to.  However, the last day that we were there it was sunny (all day long) and it made up for every other day of rain.  It was truly paradise!  Wonderful vacation (minus the rain)!!!


Days 1 and 5...Ishigaki
Ishigaki is the main island that people use as a home base while island hopping.  It is also known for several really beautiful beaches and Kabira Bay, a protected area where black pearls are cultured.  I bought a bracelet with a black pearl and loved it.  One day after school I looked down and the pearl was gone.  :(  My friend went to China for Christmas and found a black pearl at the pearl market and is having it set!  I'll pretend it came from Okinawa!


Highlights of Ishigaki
rainbow, champeru, exploring Ishigaki (public market), Maesato Beach (closed), chasing hermit crabs, fabulous local restaurant that we went to twice, classy bar, Kabira Bay, glass bottom boat, sun, sand, reading on the beach, walking on the beach, swimming, gorgeous flora...


Photos of Ishigaki
(with captions to explain)


http://picasaweb.google.com/srhendricks78/Ishigaki?authkey=Gv1sRgCImbjZDBnYbTCA&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/srhendricks78/OkinawaSouthernIslandsDay5_IshigakiSun?authkey=Gv1sRgCKO5wvrdh6n1PA&feat=directlink




Days 2 and 3...Iriomote
This island was described as Japan's last frontier. I was a bit apprehensive since I knew that it was mostly jungle, had poisonous snakes, was home to a deadly wildcat, and was not very developed. However, it ended up being one of our favorite places! This is the reason I'm open to trying just about anything because I usually end up liking it! Guess that all began when my dad dropped me off for field hockey practice in ninth grade against my will. When he came to pick me up and asked me how it was, I told him I was joining the team!

Highlights of Iriomote
mangrove, flora and fauna, ox-cart ride to Yubu Island, beach on Yubu Island, private beach at our hotel, sun, sand, swimming, collecting treasures (seashells) on the beach, hermit crab cities, Italian dinner, boat ride on the river, hike in the jungle to see waterfalls...

Photos of Iriomote
(with captions to explain)

http://picasaweb.google.com/srhendricks78/Iriomote?authkey=Gv1sRgCPbzm6Xx8saw_AE&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/srhendricks78/OkinawaSouthernIslandsDay3Iriomote_RiverExcursion?authkey=Gv1sRgCOKMps7wtOKJdg&feat=directlink




Day 4...Taketomi
Taketomi is known for the preservation of the island. It is the only island where you will still find traditional Okinawan style red tiled roofs and the streets are made of crushed coral.
Highlights of Taketomi
tour of island on an ox-cart (underwhelming), lookout to see the tile roofs, flora and fauna (especially the butterflies), hunting for star sand, bike ride with friends, sun, sand, swimming, hermit crabs, silly dragons, fu champeru...


Photos of Taketomi
(with captions to explain)

http://picasaweb.google.com/srhendricks78/OkinawaSouthernIslandsDay4_Taketomi?authkey=Gv1sRgCPH81Oja4NjH8gE&feat=directlink

1 comment:

  1. Who woulda thunk it, Sarah the little adventurer? I love it. The pictures are amazing. It makes me want to come visit. Hey Tim, we have a dog you can come whisper to any time you feel the urge. :-) Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete