Friday, July 23, 2010

The Most Expensive Pedicure Ever

One of the parents in my classroom graciously gave my aide, Etsuko, and me gift certificates to put towards a pedicure and recommended a place to go.  I had been talking about how bad my feet were and how badly I needed the dead skin scraped off.  Etsuko had never had a pedicure so we made an appointment.  I decided on the deluxe, 2 hour pedicure.  Pedicures are quite different in Japan.  It is NOT all inclusive and it rarely includes scraping the dead skin off.  A pedicure usually just means putting the nail color on.  Just that costs around $30.  I tried to choose the service that would include scraping dead skin off.
From First Japanese Pedicure
From First Japanese Pedicure
Etsuko and I went one Friday after a field trip.  Perfect idea since our feet were weary from walking.  The nail place was in an expensive department store.  The ladies were SO friendly and we definitely paid for the kind service!  They removed my nail polish, filed my toe nails, and since I opted for the deluxe pedicure I received a calf massage, masque, and green tea leaves.  Felt great!  The lady polished my toes and I opted for some Japanese nail art, otherwise known as bling since everyone here gets it.  
From First Japanese Pedicure
Two hours lady the lady said she was finished and I paid her...around $130!!!  No kidding!  You didn't read that incorrectly!  Thank goodness I had the gift certificate!  And, my feet were NOT scraped so they are still dry and disgusting with dead skin!  That would have been an additional $35!  Oh well, Etsuko and I still had fun together!  She enjoyed her first pedicure and I enjoyed my first (and most likely last) pedicure in Japan!
From First Japanese Pedicure
More photos of our pedicure...

2 comments:

  1. That is absolutely insane! But glad you had fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Jane!!! Did you subscribe to the blog? Just curious! Loving reading yours!

    ReplyDelete